Big Moments


I've been involved in photography for a pretty long time. I worked as a journalist for the Dispatch and Rock Island Argus for 23 years before committing full-time to Two Rivers Photography

Leaving photojournalism wasn't easy. I loved the work and still feel it's important and vital to understanding the world we live in. 

I love shooting weddings, and I love meeting and becoming friends with my clients and being a small part of what always is a very big day. 

When I started thinking about making the switch, I worried the wedding work (which felt very fulfilling in its not quite full-time role) would lose some of the appeal if it was all I did. I worried it wouldn't feel as important as the things I tried to capture daily as a photojournalist. 

The picture above is of one of my groom's holding his daughter from a previous relationship. She served that day as a flower girl, and this bride and groom made a special effort to include her in the ceremony binding them together as a new family. 

She was a precocious flower girl, most are at that age. During the formal portraits, we found her watching the proceedings underneath one of the pew's in the church.  

This capture comes from the reception. It was getting late in the evening, and the bride and groom had already had their dance. I watched as he scooped her up and she threw her arms around his neck. She was so happy, so content. 

A blended family is nothing new, but being there for this moment - it felt important. 

I haven't looked back or wondered if I did the right thing since.   



Comments

Popular Posts