Favorite Venue series: Black Hawk State Park





I just wanted to share some thoughts and opinions on differing venues in the area. So from time to time in the off-season, I'll reach back into archive and pull out some images and give you my .02 cents on a venue, the pros and the cons, that may help you in your wedding planning. 

This time around I decided to touch on a venue that I kind of have a love/hate relationship with, Black Hawk State Park in Rock Island. 


Easily one of the Quad Cities most beautiful park and most popular parks, Black Hawk sits on the bluff overlooking the Rock River. Fall colors here are usually unmatched and the park is a hugely popular one for photographers all over the area. 



The Watch Tower building is impressive, with massive wood beams, dark wood paneling and large fireplaces on either end. There is a wall of north-facing windows and a deck that looks over the front part of the park. 

According to their wedding page (Black Hawk Park wedding link) the facility will host 250 people and costs $800 with a $200 deposit for a Friday to Sunday rental. I've had brides and grooms tell me there are other associated costs like hiring security for your event, and if you wish to serve alcohol etc. They do have a kitchen for catering, but I can't really say much about it. 

Outdoor weddings in the park are spectacular depending on the time of the year and the weather. The facility could easily accommodate a wedding indoors as well.  






The stately sandstone pillars in the front entry with south facing windows is a beautiful place for portraits. The heavy, red wood doors are a great background as well. 






The biggest con is how dark the main reception room can get once the sun goes down. High ceilings and dark wood just eat lights. Now and again, I'll run into a fellow photographer who will say they are "natural light" photographer, meaning they use available light and don't use artificial light in their photography, and all I can think of is "Not at the Watch Tower." I've been in brighter closets. I always make sure I bring my big studio strobe lights and back ups because you need every lumen to light the dance floor. 

Parking is nice and handy. Most of the park is accessible to wheelchairs as well as the Watchtower Lodge. 

Since it is a park, there's always other people walking their dogs, or having a picnic or family photos, which is a small price to pay. The museum is usually open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. so I believe you have to work around their hours for the reception, but double check that. 

All in all, I love Black Hawk, and brides and grooms do too. I hear it books fairly quickly so if you're interested, you better get after it!   

Comments

Popular Posts